Thursday, March 28, 2013

Consistency

Over the last few weeks of training one thing I have learned is consistency, which is one thing I haven't been lately. I kept altering my foot work and my mental approach towards the barbell which then makes for inconsistent successful lifts with the heavier and important weights. That's no bueno in the sport of weightlifting. Thank goodness for good coaching though. After Glenn Pendlay fixed my footwork, which of course my other coaches have been trying to fix for a while... sorry Dave and Alex haha... it led to more power and consistency. Along with the footwork, I fixed my mental game. I used to get over vamped up before lifting and I couldn't control myself whenever it came down to lifting. So I decided to use a more calm approach by staying under control until the last second where I unleash all my power into the barbell. This also made me more consistent with heavier weights which in turn made me a better weightlifter.

Sure I'm new to weightlifting and I needed to find my own style but I also should have listened  to my coaches more consistently because they have been in my shoes and know what works and what doesn't. They also kept telling me to stay consistent with whatever style I do choose as well which I didn't adhere to very well either. Through this trial and error I finally found the light that had been blinding me the entire time.

Through this trial and error though it rang true that consistency is vital to accomplishing goals. My take is to first, be consistent in listening to those who are trying to guide you to succeed. They're trying to teach you to be successful in your discipline so their words bear substantial meaning and importance for you. Second, is to consistently believe the leaders, teachers, and coaches appointed over you because without your trust in them they can't help you and will eventually lose the desire to help you. Third, consistently follow through with what you have learned. Consistent follow through leads to consistent gains towards the goals you've set out to accomplish. Also, with consistent follow through, more right decisions will be made as long as learning from mistakes takes place. More right decisions lead to better results.

The tough part is being consistent even with adversity a.k.a. The Pits. It's easy to listen and follow through when conditions are easy and gains come steadily but staying consistent when nothing seems to be working for you is a challenge in itself. Keep fighting through and listen to the coaches and leaders. They've probably already fought and won the same battle in the pits you're fighting. Believe in them as they believe in you and you'll make it through the tough times.

Stay consistent my friends. Let's fight and win the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment